Thursday, October 6, 2011

French Toast Bake

My family has brunch on Conference Sunday at my parents' house. I made this for everyone for Spring Conference and was reminded of it last week and I decided to share.

The meal was a hit with the adults and the kids! It is a cross between French Toast and German Pancakes (some people call them Dutch Babies or something). Note: if you do not like the texture of German Pancakes, you probably wont like this! However, I LOVE French Toast bake now!

***I got the recipe from one of the thousand food blogs I stalk, and I also used the picture from the blog because I lack the ability to take good pictures.

My changes: I did not add the heavy whipping cream or the granulated sugar. The streusel has enough sugar to compensate the sweetness and whipping cream is really not necessary. I also tripled the amount of cinnamon in the streusel because I love me some cinnamon :)

Cinnamon Baked French Toast
Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman
1 loaf French Bread
8 large eggs
2 cups milk
½ cup heavy whipping cream
¾ cups granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Streusel Topping:
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Tear or cut French bread into 1 - 2 inch cubes, and evenly place in the pan.
2. Mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Pour evenly over bread. Cover pan with saran wrap and store in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add butter pieces and cut into the mixture using a fork or your hands. Combine until the mixture resembles sand with a few pea sized chunks. Cover and store mixture in the refrigerator.
4. When you’re ready to bake preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the top of casserole. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the French toast is set and golden brown. *** Mine was done at 40 mins so make sure to check on it!
5. Serve warm with maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment