Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sprucing Up Cup Cakes With Little Effort


Ah, the cup cake craze. I have to admit that I love it. However, some of the adorable cup cakes you see people making for birthdays and holidays literally take HOURS and let's face it: it is not always worth the effort. So what do you do when you want to make cup cakes that makes it seem like they are "fancy" with out actually being fancy? Answer: small additions.

The other night my husband's best friend came over, and right before he got there my husband casually mentions that it was his birthday. I had no time to go to the store for supplies, or spend hours making a fancy cake. So I whipped up some cup cakes and searches the depths of my cupboards and fridge. I had some german chocolate cake frosting and peanut butter frosting left over (that sounds really pathetic). So for variety, I decided to use both. But I couldn't just slop frosting on cupcakes and serve that, I mean, that is just rude! I had to show him that I made a big effort in honor of his coming into the world!

Solution 1: Ya know what is REALLY good with german chocolate cake? Maraschino cherries. And They look really cute on top of the cup cakes.

Solution 2: I melted some chocolate in a plastic bag, cut a small hole in the corner, and then I spelled out a happy birthday salutation.

Check it out peeps, and please don't judge the hideous display. I really was rushing and we hadn't unpacked our platters yet so I had to use a cookie sheet.



Seriously, just add a piece of candy or shredded chocolate a top any cup cake and you will find that the presentation value increases exponentially.

No comments:

Post a Comment